Recent Changes for kornelix programs
2018 Nov. 09 Lbench release 3.7
• A new benchmark was
added: global resource lock and unlock
2018 Sep. 16 Fotoxx release
• All Fotoxx menu
functions were exercised using GCC -fsanitize=address.
Several bugs were fixed that were serious
enough to cause a crash.
• A blank line in the list of user-defined 'extra'
metadata caused a crash.
• Area copy/paste had a misleading user interface, making
it hard to use.
2018 July 26 Fotoxx release
Makefile and source code were revised to get past GCC 8 errors
There were no functional changes or bug fixes.
2018 July 01 Fotoxx Release 18.07
• Zonal Retinex is around 5x faster for large images and
high zone count.
• A single Blur menu now consolidates all six blur
functions: normal blur,
radial blur, directed blur, graduated blur,
paint blur, background blur.
• Normal blur is around 3x faster and radius limit was
raised from 200 to 999.
• Radial Blur - new function: Blur is directed outwards
from a chosen center.
• Image Differences - new function: Subtract one image
from another. These
can be variably offset, magnified, and edited for
• Copy Pixels: Image areas can be copied directly from a
source to a target
image via mouse 'painting'. Copy process can be
scaled to fit the target.
• Run Script: Apply a custom script to the current image
file with one click.
Works like an edit function - much faster
than setting up a batch script.
• Keyboard shortcuts can be defined for the common dialog
• Trim/Rotate: If an image was leveled, a minor sharpen is
• Find Duplicate Images: This runs much faster for a huge
Input can be all images or the current
gallery (e.g. Search Images output).
• Smart Erase: power lines or other long thin features can
be more easily
erased by clicking at intervals along the line.
• Search Images:
Date "null" can be used to find
images having no photo date.
BUSY indicator was added for long
searches (non-indexed metadata).
New option: retrieve all versions
for images meeting search criteria.
Wildcards can be used when
searching metadata for matching text.
• Slide Show:
The dialog for specifying image
events was simplified.
Duration for animated transitions
and image zooms is specified directly
in seconds (instead of fiddling
parameters by trial and error).
New transition type: image
'disintegrates' to reveal new image.
• Gallery view: more/less metadata is shown with
bigger/smaller thumbnail size.
• List view: now includes image pixel dimensions and file
size in megabytes.
• Paint Edits can now be used with: Color Mode, Shift
Colors, Adjust RGB.
• Batch Convert and Batch RAW: new options for output file
type and bit depth.
• Batch Delete/Trash: Deleted files are automatically
purged from all albums.
(formerly this was not done until the next time an
album was opened).
• Manage Albums: Rename option added (formerly you had to
use a file manager).
• The restriction on sorting albums was removed, but the
output is a new
album instead of replacing the input album. New
name is 'oldname-sorted'.
• New album function: Revert to current album or open
• Change Language: this setting is now preserved across
(previously reverted to user locale at next Fotoxx
• Menu popup help text: better positioning to avoid
covering nearby menu.
• Fotoxx home can more easily be moved to a new location.
User settings and
customizations are preserved. Re-indexing of image
files is not required.
• Custom script files were relocated to
• Galleries are now limited to 25K images to avoid window
Image searches exceeding this limit are
truncated with notification.
• File size in megabytes added to the image index
(effective after re-index).
This is also shown in gallery view if zoom
size is large enough to fit.
• Many menu names were simplified and shortened for faster
More commonly used menus were moved toward
the top of the list.
• Because of the menu renaming, Keyboard shortcuts are
reset to the defaults.
Any custom shortcuts you have made must be
• The [+] and [-] keys can no longer be used for rapid
a numeric widget setting. Use the up/down
arrow keys instead.
• Show map locations for current gallery images: crashed
if empty gallery.
• Cosmetic flaw in custom [small] spin buttons (e.g. 0.1
showed as 0.100003).
• Restore lost keyboard shortcut for menu "File Save as
• Video files with embedded quotes (") in file names would
• Index image files: rare failure to create a thumbnail
• Slide Show animated image transitions are smoother
• Search Images: If search-to date is 'yyyy-mm', default
correct 'dd' 28-31.
• Favorites: stop spurious false error message "xxx.png
file not found".
• Batch Photo Date-Time: failed for image files having no
• Preserving the current file/gallery/album across
sessions failed if the
file/gallery/album file name had embedded blanks.
• Edit Metadata: if custom metadata items for image index
were missing for
a file being edited, useless error messages
were added to the log file.
• Crash in preload_thumbs() if galleries are switched 10+
times per second
(e.g. using the arrow keys to race through
months in the timeline report).
• Crash if Measure Noise is used while the Denoise
function is still working.
• Crash if certain functions are used after starting
fotoxx with no index.
• Some scrollable reports did not scroll when using the KB
up/down arrow keys
to move the currently selected row beyond the
top or bottom of the window.
• The image function "Copy to Desktop" did not work for
• The User Guide was audited and many errors and omissions
2018 Apr 30 Fotoxx Release 18.01.4
The German translation was cleaned up by a real native
Bugfix: Help > Quick Start showed English version for
2018 Feb 22 Fotoxx Release 18.01.3
Bugfix: Image rotate was producing a slightly pixelated
2018 Feb 11 Mystuff Release 3.1
• Fix sporadic menu drag if menu window left
starting menu function.
• Update user guide for how to add new menu entries
for installed applications.
• Files in .mystuff were
made relative, to make this directory relocatable.
2018 Feb 11 Ukopp Release 6.6
• Bugfix: the reported expired file versions exceeded
in the next backup job. The reported number
• The internal logic for calculating archive file statuses
and counts was
simplified and the archive status reports
• A utility was added to renumber archive file versions to
start at (1).
This can be used to stop unlimited growth of
version numbers for files
that change frequently and are backed-up
2018 Jan 24 Fotoxx Release 18.01.2
The Italian translation was updated.
Bugfix: fixed a cosmetic defect in the custom [small] spin
2018 Jan 02 Fotoxx Release 18.01.1
Bug Fix: Crash in metadata related functions if the default
'nocatg' has been deleted. This is now replaced automatically.
2018 Jan 01 Fotoxx Release 18.01
- The image index format was
revised, requiring a new index initialization.
This runs fast (up to 7000/min.) since new thumbnails are not
- Image Index initialization:
work is now divided among 4 parallel threads.
On a computer with 4 processor cores and an SSD disk, indexing
3x faster (ca. 6000/min). There is no speedup for a rotating
- The maximum thread count for
some functions was increased from 4 to 8,
to better utilize the newest processors from Intel and AMD.
- Use of the shell "find"
command was mostly replaced with calls to glob().
This is fail-safe against special characters in file names.
- There is now an option to
place the Fotoxx home directory wherever wanted.
The file "/home/<user>/.fotoxx-home" may be used to set
a custom location.
- The font for gallery windows
is 1 point less than the user setting for
- Retained geocoordinate
precision was improved (now within 1 meter).
- Many GTK widgets were
downsized by reducing unnecessary margin padding.
This can be revised or undone by editing the file
- The custom [small] spin button
widget now spins increasingly faster when
the +/- key or up/down arrow key is held down more than 1
- The image index may now
include up to 20 user-defined metadata items
(search speed for indexed metadata is >1000x faster than
- The restriction on sorting a
metadata report was removed.
- Effects > Pattern: GUI
improvements and better responsiveness.
- Updating Albums: GUI
improvements to make it easier to update affected
albums after an image file is updated or a new version is
- Play video: Keyboard commands
revised: 'P' to play/stop/resume, 'Q' to
- New slide show transition: the
next image swells up from the middle and
compresses the previous image out to the sides.
- Galleries retain both sort and
scroll position within and across sessions.
All galleries can be reset to 'file name ascending' order with
- Retouch-Combo: GUI improved
for setting white balance and black point.
- Retinex: new edit function to
improve color and contrast for images with
extreme fog/haze or color cast (e.g. a scan of a 100 year-old
Retinex can also be used to add flair to most other images.
- Batch Photo Date/Time: new
function to fix missing or wrong photo date/time,
or shift the date/time a given amount (e.g. camera in wrong
- Batch Geotags: Location and
Country can be updated without changing the
existing geocoordinates (e.g. fix chaotic names from the
- Keyboard navigation: some
search and select functions that output a list now
allow navigation of the list using the arrow, page and
home/end keys. You can
also enter text to make the list scroll to the next entry with
- KB shortcuts: most can be
customized, most are now available in gallery view.
The menu functions that can have shortcuts were expanded from
27 to 94.
- Menu font and background
colors can be set to match a 'theme' or personal
taste (these are generated graphics and do not follow themes
- Two batch RAW conversion
functions were consolidated into one, with
- Search Images: search by file
mod date added (in addition to photo
- View360 function: View a 360°
panorama image (e.g. Google photosphere).
Viewpoint can turn through 360° and wrap-around by dragging
- Manage Tags: stop auto-delete
of unused tags. User must delete if
- Mosaic: made much faster by
using parallel threads. Blend is now
- KB shortcuts: make '+' work as
'zoom-in' for any keyboard layout.
- Zonal Flatten: allow zone
count = 1 (i.e. use the entire image
- Adjust HSL: use a sample spot
of 3x3 pixels instead of one pixel.
- Gallery view: use arrow keys
to index current file and jump across
- Revised menu names: Zonal
Flatten > Flatten, Tone Mapping > Gradients,
Flip Image > Mirror Image, Write Text > Add Text, Write
Line > Add Line,
Brightness Gradient > Brightness Ramp, Local Color >
- Panorama: PNG images with
alpha channels were sometimes made invisible.
- Possible lockup after a long
image indexing process. Exiftool memory
- Brightness Ramp: direction
line sometimes persisted after function
- Albums: stop removal of videos
from album if 'ffmpeg' or 'totem' is
- All directories tree: possible
crash if navigating via keyboard arrow
- Search Images metadata report:
missing data for the first image in the
- Search Images with metadata
selection criteria: minor memory leak
- Vertical Panorama: fine
alignment via mouse caused image to partly
- Favorites menu: stop crash if
assigned menu name is a 'top' menu.
- Favorites menu: stop movement
of menu position if 'user settings'
- The interface to Raw Therapee
was updated for changes in Raw Therapee.
- Some keyboard shortcut keys
were not working for some KB layouts.
- Spurious "kill active dialog"
message if image-index [x] button is
- Crash "max. dialogs exceeded"
after 15 "Edit Brightness" done in a
- Stop spurious log file
diagnostic from thumbnail clicks: "fopen
- Batch Utilities: stop flashing
of title bar with each file opened.
- Crash "no thumbnail directory"
needed a better diagnostic.
- Image Index: RAW files were
omitted (auto updated when referenced).
- Make all date/time input
formats the same.
The user guide was
audited to fix many minor errors and omissions.
The images were all updated and some were enlarged for better
A clickable table of contents and a clickable topic index were
Fotoxx works OK with
Wayland/Xwayland with one exception: when an image
zoomed-in by clicking on a spot, the pointer no longer follows
the spot but stays
fixed. This is a known bug or omission (only the user can move
2017 Dec 01 Ukopp Release 6.5
- New [restored] command line
option: $ ukopp -nogui <jobfile>
Run backup job with no user interaction, for use in shell
- Ukopp now expects to run as
root. Use 'sudo ukopp' to start ukopp.
Prior method using gksudo no longer works.
Review the technical notes in the user guide.
- Internal code cleanup.
- Bugfix: count of purged
archive files/versions was sometimes wrong.
- Bugfix: specifying '0'
retained versions or days created an invalid job
2017 Oct 14 Watsup Release 4.1
The panel report is now inside the panel, not
2017 Oct 06 Watsup Release 4.0
Watsup was made into an "app indicator" in the top
(at least for the Ubuntu flavor of Gnome desktop).