Recent Changes for kornelix programs
Subscribe (RSS) to kornelix.blogspot.com to
2018 Feb 11 Mystuff Release 3.1
• Fix sporadic menu drag if menu window left open after
starting menu function.
• Update user guide for how to add new menu entries for installed applications.
• Files in .mystuff were made relative, to make this directory
2018 Feb 11 Ukopp Release 6.6
• Bugfix: the reported expired file versions exceeded files actually
in the next backup job. The reported number was corrected.
• The internal logic for calculating archive file statuses and counts was
simplified and the archive status reports were improved.
• A utility was added to renumber archive file versions to start at (1).
This can be used to stop unlimited growth of version numbers for files
that change frequently and are backed-up frequently.
2018 Jan 24 Fotoxx Release 18.01.2
The Italian translation was updated.
Bugfix: fixed a cosmetic defect in the custom [small] spin buttons.
2018 Jan 02 Fotoxx Release 18.01.1
Bug Fix: Crash in metadata related functions if the default tag
'nocatg' has been deleted. This is now replaced automatically.
2018 Jan 01 Fotoxx Release 18.01
- The image index format was revised, requiring a new index initialization.
This runs fast (up to 7000/min.) since new thumbnails are not needed.
- Image Index initialization: work is now divided among 4 parallel threads.
On a computer with 4 processor cores and an SSD disk, indexing runs about
3x faster (ca. 6000/min). There is no speedup for a rotating disk (1000/min).
- The maximum thread count for some functions was increased from 4 to 8,
to better utilize the newest processors from Intel and AMD.
- Use of the shell "find" command was mostly replaced with calls to glob().
This is fail-safe against special characters in file names.
- There is now an option to place the Fotoxx home directory wherever wanted.
The file "/home/<user>/.fotoxx-home" may be used to set a custom location.
- The font for gallery windows is 1 point less than the user setting for dialogs.
- Retained geocoordinate precision was improved (now within 1 meter).
- Many GTK widgets were downsized by reducing unnecessary margin padding.
This can be revised or undone by editing the file "widgets.css".
- The custom [small] spin button widget now spins increasingly faster when
the +/- key or up/down arrow key is held down more than 1 second.
- The image index may now include up to 20 user-defined metadata items
(search speed for indexed metadata is >1000x faster than non-indexed).
- The restriction on sorting a metadata report was removed.
- Effects > Pattern: GUI improvements and better responsiveness.
- Updating Albums: GUI improvements to make it easier to update affected
albums after an image file is updated or a new version is created.
- Play video: Keyboard commands revised: 'P' to play/stop/resume, 'Q' to quit.
- New slide show transition: the next image swells up from the middle and
compresses the previous image out to the sides.
- Galleries retain both sort and scroll position within and across sessions.
All galleries can be reset to 'file name ascending' order with one button.
- Retouch-Combo: GUI improved for setting white balance and black point.
- Retinex: new edit function to improve color and contrast for images with
extreme fog/haze or color cast (e.g. a scan of a 100 year-old photo).
Retinex can also be used to add flair to most other images.
- Batch Photo Date/Time: new function to fix missing or wrong photo date/time,
or shift the date/time a given amount (e.g. camera in wrong time zone).
- Batch Geotags: Location and Country can be updated without changing the
existing geocoordinates (e.g. fix chaotic names from the camera GPS).
- Keyboard navigation: some search and select functions that output a list now
allow navigation of the list using the arrow, page and home/end keys. You can
also enter text to make the list scroll to the next entry with matching text.
- KB shortcuts: most can be customized, most are now available in gallery view.
The menu functions that can have shortcuts were expanded from 27 to 94.
- Menu font and background colors can be set to match a 'theme' or personal
taste (these are generated graphics and do not follow themes automatically).
- Two batch RAW conversion functions were consolidated into one, with options.
- Search Images: search by file mod date added (in addition to photo date).
- View360 function: View a 360° panorama image (e.g. Google photosphere).
Viewpoint can turn through 360° and wrap-around by dragging the mouse.
- Manage Tags: stop auto-delete of unused tags. User must delete if unwanted.
- Mosaic: made much faster by using parallel threads. Blend is now instant.
- KB shortcuts: make '+' work as 'zoom-in' for any keyboard layout.
- Zonal Flatten: allow zone count = 1 (i.e. use the entire image distribution).
- Adjust HSL: use a sample spot of 3x3 pixels instead of one pixel.
- Gallery view: use arrow keys to index current file and jump across galleries.
- Revised menu names: Zonal Flatten > Flatten, Tone Mapping > Gradients,
Flip Image > Mirror Image, Write Text > Add Text, Write Line > Add Line,
Brightness Gradient > Brightness Ramp, Local Color > Zonal Colors.
- Panorama: PNG images with alpha channels were sometimes made invisible.
- Possible lockup after a long image indexing process. Exiftool memory leak.
- Brightness Ramp: direction line sometimes persisted after function exit.
- Albums: stop removal of videos from album if 'ffmpeg' or 'totem' is missing.
- All directories tree: possible crash if navigating via keyboard arrow keys.
- Search Images metadata report: missing data for the first image in the list.
- Search Images with metadata selection criteria: minor memory leak plugged.
- Vertical Panorama: fine alignment via mouse caused image to partly disappear.
- Favorites menu: stop crash if assigned menu name is a 'top' menu.
- Favorites menu: stop movement of menu position if 'user settings' selected.
- The interface to Raw Therapee was updated for changes in Raw Therapee.
- Some keyboard shortcut keys were not working for some KB layouts.
- Spurious "kill active dialog" message if image-index [x] button is used.
- Crash "max. dialogs exceeded" after 15 "Edit Brightness" done in a script.
- Stop spurious log file diagnostic from thumbnail clicks: "fopen re-entry".
- Batch Utilities: stop flashing of title bar with each file opened.
- Crash "no thumbnail directory" needed a better diagnostic.
- Image Index: RAW files were omitted (auto updated when referenced).
- Make all date/time input formats the same.
The user guide was audited to fix many minor errors and omissions.
The images were all updated and some were enlarged for better visibility.
A clickable table of contents and a clickable topic index were added.
Fotoxx works OK with Wayland/Xwayland with one exception: when an image is
zoomed-in by clicking on a spot, the pointer no longer follows the spot but stays
fixed. This is a known bug or omission (only the user can move the pointer).
2017 Dec 01 Ukopp Release 6.5
- New [restored] command line option: $ ukopp -nogui <jobfile>
Run backup job with no user interaction, for use in shell scripts.
- Ukopp now expects to run as root. Use 'sudo ukopp' to start ukopp.
Prior method using gksudo no longer works.
Review the technical notes in the user guide.
- Internal code cleanup.
- Bugfix: count of purged archive files/versions was sometimes wrong.
- Bugfix: specifying '0' retained versions or days created an invalid job file.
2017 Oct 14 Watsup Release 4.1
The panel report is now inside the panel, not below
2017 Oct 06 Watsup Release 4.0
Watsup was made into an "app indicator" in the top panel
(at least for the Ubuntu flavor of Gnome desktop).
2017 Sep 01 Fotoxx Release 17.08.3
User settings for video file types were not being saved.
Add missing popup diagnostic for libraw (RAW file) (e.g. unable to read a
Check for hugin, not hugin-executor (diverse packaging standards).
2017 Aug 07 Fotoxx Release 17.08.2
Avoid crash if an invalid parameter is inherited from a previous installed
2017 Aug 02 Fotoxx Release 17.08.1
Crash if the new "list view" function is used with an image directory
the declared image directories
2017 Aug 01 Fotoxx Release 17.08
- Technical Changes
- Thumbnails were enlarged to 512 pixels for faster galleries when using large
thumbnails. To implement, delete your thumbnails directory and re-index.
- Use of shell "cp filename" was replaced with a copyfile() function, which makes
batch functions fail-safe against special characters in file names.
- New widget types were implemented to make some dialogs smaller, covering
less of the image being viewed. Number values can be indexed up or down using
the mouse wheel, keyboard up/down arrow keys, or the [+] [-] keys. The shift key
can be held down to increase the step size and speed by 10x.
- Functional Changes
- Video files display as both images (initial frame) and gallery thumbnails.
Click to play. Also editable metadata, albums, search, and slide show play.
- Maps: save and recall user-named map locations (map position and scale).
- Panorama: the flatten function was made variable and reversible.
- Retouch Combo: the curve edit user interface was improved.
- Galleries remember and restore their last scroll position with each view.
- Select Hairy: improved algorithm, faster and better user interface.
- Select Area > Find Gap: fatter lines are drawn for better visibility.
- Custom Kernel: added functionality. Ten more pre-installed filters.
- Paint Image: added an HSL color chooser as an additional color method.
- Slide Show: 2 new transition types. 5 others made faster on slow computers.
- Color Profile: EXIF "ICCProfileName" is updated and embedded profile deleted.
- Export Image Files: added metadata relevant for photo web services.
- Search Images: match 'all' or 'any' logic was implemented for location.
- Gallery List View expanded: show small thumbnails + most relevant metadata.
- Bug Fixes
- Slide Show: workaround for GDK pixbuf scaling bug.
- Flickr Upload stopped working and was removed. Flickr and other photo web
services can do this directly. The User Guide describes a simple procedure.
- A startup album name (if any) was getting replaced with blanks.
- Retouch Combo: failed if directory for saved settings is missing (create it).
- Index Image Files: failed if recent files file is missing (create it).
- Possible crash if Trim/Rotate [level] button is used (EXIF tilt angle).
2017 Jul 01 Fotoxx 17.04.3 bug fixes:
+ Manage Albums, Choose Album: [cancel] left all album menus disabled.
+ Slide Show, zoom image function: fix memory leak.
+ Select Area, Find Gap: crash if gap search killed before complete.
+ EXIF data update: poss. crash if input keyword data is null.
+ Color Profile: liblcms2 can produce RGB values < 0. Replaced these with 0.
+ File index process sometimes omitted a few files. This was self-repairing.
+ Metadata Report: leafpad fails to display report file - replaced it.
2017 May 02 Fotoxx 17.04.2 bug fixes:
+ Workaround for GTK draw event loop in Paint Image palette color selection.
+ Retouch Combo: always update distribution graph for dialog widget changes.
2017 Apr 11 - bug fixes
Gallery: crash if RAW file thumbnails are set to a large size
+ Sharpen Image: error message if [apply] button and no method chosen
+ Retouch Combo: [reset] button failed to reset the [amplify] slider
+ Popup Menus: offset from mouse position to make menu cancel easier
Galaxy2-1.3 - crash if star count is revised and parameters saved to a file
Lbench-3.4 - user interface rationalized
2017 Apr 01 Fotoxx Release 17.04
- Source code revisions for GTK API changes (Ubuntu 17.04, Fedora 25).
- Implementation of AppImage, a distro-agnostic packaging format.
- Smoother gallery scrolling via thread to pre-fetch thumbnail images.
- Image Montage: join selected images together into a compact table format.
Images included in the table can be clicked to show a full-size image.
- Paint Image: modified to make it easier to use with a Wacom tablet.
- Paint Image: use any image as a custom color palette - click to select color.
- Edited images get an automatic tag, allowing "edited" as a search criteria.
- Alien Colors effect: repaint an image or area with random strange colors.
- Stack/Paint: Transient foreground objects can be removed automatically, and
a moving subject can be shown in multiple positions against the background.
- Twist effect: twist or swirl an image around a mouse-selected central point.
- Script Files: most of the special effects functions can now be scripted.
- Denoise - measure noise: the noise is better characterized as a scatterplot.
- The desktop wallpaper functions were removed - they don't work with the
latest Gnome desktop.
- User Interface
- Paint Image and Clone Image were split into separate functions.
- Trim/Rotate: margin sides can now be dragged, in addition to the corners.
- Rename, Copy/Move, Delete/Trash: options were added to keep these dialogs
open or not (keep open is easier/faster if processing multiple files).
- Albums can now be sorted like any other gallery, but cannot be edited when
in an out-of-sequence condition. To edit, re-open the album.
- User Settings: an album name can be specified as the startup gallery.
- Bug Fixes
- Startup with a file parameter: now works for absolute or relative file name.
- Correctly handle file and directory names containing '$' characters.
- Voodoo functions can now be assigned to shortcut keys like any other.
- Disallow re-sorting of a metadata report, which loses the link between
images and their metadata. Sort the gallery before generating the report.
- Copy to Desktop or Clipboard: an edited but unsaved file copies correctly.
- Trim/Rotate: stop sporadic motion of zoomed image when margins are dragged.
2017 Feb 28 Fotoxx Release 17.01.2 bug fixes:
+ Read TIFF file with alpha channel: alpha data was being ignored.
+ Panorama: crash if images being combined have too little overlap.
+ The Spanish and Catalan translations were updated. No version change.
2017 Jan 12 Fotoxx Release 17.01.1 bug fixes:
+ Possible crash at startup after new image files are found and indexed.
(This is self-repairing at the next startup.)
+ Crash if the De-noise dialog is quit with the Measure Noise dialog left open.
2017 Jan 08 Ukopp Release 6.2
- Bugfix: fixed a garbled differences summary report if backup is to a directory
only, instead of to a device, mount point, and directory.
- User Guide: an explanation was added about how deleted source files are
handled in the backup archive - when and how long they are retained.
2017 Jan 05 Fotoxx Release 17.01
The packages were rebuilt to include better diagnostic output after a
The Makefile was changed. The source code was not changed.
2017 Jan 01 Fotoxx Release 17.01
- Show the entire image directory hierarchy with [+] and [-] buttons to expand
or contract subdirectories at each level. Click any entry for a gallery view.
- Blend Image: Blend image pixels by painting with the mouse.
- Replace Album File: Make it easier to update albums whenever member images
are edited or added. Replace a given old image with a given new image, or
add the new image after the old, in selected albums or all albums.
- Maps: An option was added to show markers only for images in the current
gallery (e.g. search results or album). The default is to show all images.
- Color Mode: A new option was added to "rotate" the colors (RGB -> BRG),
and each function operates on prior results instead of the original image.
- Three new slide show transitions: turn-cube, windmill, pixelize.
- Adjust HSL: both source and target colors can be selected by clicking the image.
- Slide Show - added button to use current gallery (without album selection).
- Image indexing is 1.9x faster for 5400 rpm disk (minor speedup for SSD).
- Thumbnail caching is more efficient, gallery scrolling is a little smoother.
- User Interface Improvements
- Edit Metadata: added button to recall and insert previous geotag data.
- Batch Rename Tags: A GUI replaced the text file for old and new tag names.
- Brightness/Color Gradient (alias "Ramp"): Set gradient direction with the mouse.
- Favorites menu: Alignment of icons or text to invisible grid was made easier.
- Bookmarks Edit and GoTo dialogs: scroll bar added to allow larger entry counts.
- Slide Show: transitions dialog can be scrolled for easier use with small monitors.
- Report by location and date-groups: If only a country is selected, the
output gallery did not include all locations within that country.
- Metadata report: Failed if no prior reported items list was found.
- Sort gallery by file or photo date: Avoid sorting subdirectories
(leave them at the top of the list and in alphabetic order)