Recent Changes for kornelix programs
2018 Apr 30 Fotoxx Release 18.01.4
The German translation was cleaned up by a real native
Bugfix: Help > Quick Start showed English version for
2018 Feb 22 Fotoxx Release 18.01.3
Bugfix: Image rotate was producing a slightly pixelated
2018 Feb 11 Mystuff Release 3.1
• Fix sporadic menu drag if menu window left
open after starting menu function.
• Update user guide for how to add new menu entries
for installed applications.
• Files in .mystuff
were made relative, to make this directory relocatable.
2018 Feb 11 Ukopp Release 6.6
• Bugfix: the reported expired file versions exceeded
files actually purged
in the next backup job. The reported number was
• The internal logic for calculating archive file statuses
and counts was
simplified and the archive status reports were
• A utility was added to renumber archive file versions to
start at (1).
This can be used to stop unlimited growth of
version numbers for files
that change frequently and are backed-up
2018 Jan 24 Fotoxx Release 18.01.2
The Italian translation was updated.
Bugfix: fixed a cosmetic defect in the custom [small] spin
2018 Jan 02 Fotoxx Release 18.01.1
Bug Fix: Crash in metadata related functions if the default
'nocatg' has been deleted. This is now replaced automatically.
2018 Jan 01 Fotoxx Release 18.01
- The image index format was revised, requiring a new index
This runs fast (up to 7000/min.) since new thumbnails are not
- Image Index initialization: work is now divided among 4
On a computer with 4 processor cores and an SSD disk, indexing
3x faster (ca. 6000/min). There is no speedup for a rotating
- The maximum thread count for some functions was increased
from 4 to 8,
to better utilize the newest processors from Intel and AMD.
- Use of the shell "find" command was mostly replaced with
calls to glob().
This is fail-safe against special characters in file names.
- There is now an option to place the Fotoxx home directory
The file "/home/<user>/.fotoxx-home" may be used to set
a custom location.
- The font for gallery windows is 1 point less than the user
setting for dialogs.
- Retained geocoordinate precision was improved (now within 1
- Many GTK widgets were downsized by reducing unnecessary
This can be revised or undone by editing the file
- The custom [small] spin button widget now spins increasingly
the +/- key or up/down arrow key is held down more than 1
- The image index may now include up to 20 user-defined
(search speed for indexed metadata is >1000x faster than
- The restriction on sorting a metadata report was removed.
- Effects > Pattern: GUI improvements and better
- Updating Albums: GUI improvements to make it easier to
albums after an image file is updated or a new version is
- Play video: Keyboard commands revised: 'P' to
play/stop/resume, 'Q' to quit.
- New slide show transition: the next image swells up from the
compresses the previous image out to the sides.
- Galleries retain both sort and scroll position within and
All galleries can be reset to 'file name ascending' order with
- Retouch-Combo: GUI improved for setting white balance and
- Retinex: new edit function to improve color and contrast for
extreme fog/haze or color cast (e.g. a scan of a 100 year-old
Retinex can also be used to add flair to most other images.
- Batch Photo Date/Time: new function to fix missing or wrong
or shift the date/time a given amount (e.g. camera in wrong
- Batch Geotags: Location and Country can be updated without
existing geocoordinates (e.g. fix chaotic names from the
- Keyboard navigation: some search and select functions that
output a list now
allow navigation of the list using the arrow, page and
home/end keys. You can
also enter text to make the list scroll to the next entry with
- KB shortcuts: most can be customized, most are now available
in gallery view.
The menu functions that can have shortcuts were expanded from
27 to 94.
- Menu font and background colors can be set to match a
'theme' or personal
taste (these are generated graphics and do not follow themes
- Two batch RAW conversion functions were consolidated into
one, with options.
- Search Images: search by file mod date added (in addition to
- View360 function: View a 360° panorama image (e.g. Google
Viewpoint can turn through 360° and wrap-around by dragging
- Manage Tags: stop auto-delete of unused tags. User must
delete if unwanted.
- Mosaic: made much faster by using parallel threads. Blend is
- KB shortcuts: make '+' work as 'zoom-in' for any keyboard
- Zonal Flatten: allow zone count = 1 (i.e. use the entire
- Adjust HSL: use a sample spot of 3x3 pixels instead of one
- Gallery view: use arrow keys to index current file and jump
- Revised menu names: Zonal Flatten > Flatten, Tone Mapping
Flip Image > Mirror Image, Write Text > Add Text, Write
Line > Add Line,
Brightness Gradient > Brightness Ramp, Local Color >
- Panorama: PNG images with alpha channels were sometimes made
- Possible lockup after a long image indexing process.
Exiftool memory leak.
- Brightness Ramp: direction line sometimes persisted after
- Albums: stop removal of videos from album if 'ffmpeg' or
'totem' is missing.
- All directories tree: possible crash if navigating via
keyboard arrow keys.
- Search Images metadata report: missing data for the first
image in the list.
- Search Images with metadata selection criteria: minor memory
- Vertical Panorama: fine alignment via mouse caused image to
- Favorites menu: stop crash if assigned menu name is a 'top'
- Favorites menu: stop movement of menu position if 'user
- The interface to Raw Therapee was updated for changes in Raw
- Some keyboard shortcut keys were not working for some KB
- Spurious "kill active dialog" message if image-index [x]
button is used.
- Crash "max. dialogs exceeded" after 15 "Edit Brightness"
done in a script.
- Stop spurious log file diagnostic from thumbnail clicks:
- Batch Utilities: stop flashing of title bar with each file
- Crash "no thumbnail directory" needed a better diagnostic.
- Image Index: RAW files were omitted (auto updated when
- Make all date/time input formats the same.
The user guide was audited to fix many minor errors
The images were all updated and some were enlarged for better
A clickable table of contents and a clickable topic index were
Fotoxx works OK with Wayland/Xwayland with one
exception: when an image is
zoomed-in by clicking on a spot, the pointer no longer follows
the spot but stays
fixed. This is a known bug or omission (only the user can move
2017 Dec 01 Ukopp Release 6.5
- New [restored] command line option: $ ukopp -nogui
Run backup job with no user interaction, for use in shell
- Ukopp now expects to run as root. Use 'sudo ukopp' to start
Prior method using gksudo no longer works.
Review the technical notes in the user guide.
- Internal code cleanup.
- Bugfix: count of purged archive files/versions was sometimes
- Bugfix: specifying '0' retained versions or days created an
invalid job file.
2017 Oct 14 Watsup Release 4.1
The panel report is now inside the panel, not
2017 Oct 06 Watsup Release 4.0
Watsup was made into an "app indicator" in the top
(at least for the Ubuntu flavor of Gnome desktop).
2017 Sep 01 Fotoxx Release 17.08.3
User settings for video file
types were not being saved.
Add missing popup diagnostic
for libraw (RAW file) (e.g. unable to read a file).
Check for hugin, not
hugin-executor (diverse packaging standards).
2017 Aug 07 Fotoxx Release 17.08.2
Avoid crash if an
invalid parameter is inherited from a previous installed version.
2017 Aug 02 Fotoxx Release 17.08.1
Crash if the new "list
view" function is used with an image directory outside
2017 Aug 01 Fotoxx Release 17.08
- Technical Changes
- Thumbnails were enlarged to 512 pixels for faster
galleries when using large
thumbnails. To implement, delete your thumbnails directory
- Use of shell "cp filename" was replaced with a
copyfile() function, which makes
batch functions fail-safe against special characters in
- New widget types were implemented to make some dialogs
less of the image being viewed. Number values can be
indexed up or down using
the mouse wheel, keyboard up/down arrow keys, or the [+]
[-] keys. The shift key
can be held down to increase the step size and speed by
- Functional Changes
- Video files display as both images (initial frame) and
Click to play. Also editable metadata, albums, search, and
slide show play.
- Maps: save and recall user-named map locations (map
position and scale).
- Panorama: the flatten function was made variable and
- Retouch Combo: the curve edit user interface was
- Galleries remember and restore their last scroll
position with each view.
- Select Hairy: improved algorithm, faster and better user
- Select Area > Find Gap: fatter lines are drawn for
- Custom Kernel: added functionality. Ten more
- Paint Image: added an HSL color chooser as an additional
- Slide Show: 2 new transition types. 5 others made faster
on slow computers.
- Color Profile: EXIF "ICCProfileName" is updated and
embedded profile deleted.
- Export Image Files: added metadata relevant for photo
- Search Images: match 'all' or 'any' logic was
implemented for location.
- Gallery List View expanded: show small thumbnails + most
- Bug Fixes
- Slide Show: workaround for GDK pixbuf scaling bug.
- Flickr Upload stopped working and was removed. Flickr
and other photo web
services can do this directly. The User Guide describes a
- A startup album name (if any) was getting replaced with
- Retouch Combo: failed if directory for saved settings is
missing (create it).
- Index Image Files: failed if recent files file is
missing (create it).
- Possible crash if Trim/Rotate [level] button is used
(EXIF tilt angle).
2017 Jul 01 Fotoxx 17.04.3 bug fixes:
+ Manage Albums, Choose Album: [cancel] left all
album menus disabled.
+ Slide Show, zoom image function: fix memory leak.
+ Select Area, Find Gap: crash if gap search killed
+ EXIF data update: poss. crash if input keyword data
+ Color Profile: liblcms2 can produce RGB values <
0. Replaced these with 0.
+ File index process sometimes omitted a few files.
This was self-repairing.
+ Metadata Report: leafpad fails to display report
file - replaced it.
2017 May 02 Fotoxx 17.04.2 bug fixes:
+ Workaround for GTK draw event loop in
Paint Image palette color selection.
+ Retouch Combo: always update
distribution graph for dialog widget changes.
2017 Apr 11 - bug fixes
+ Thumbnail Gallery: crash if
RAW file thumbnails are set to a large size
+ Sharpen Image: error message if
[apply] button and no method chosen
+ Retouch Combo: [reset] button
failed to reset the [amplify] slider
+ Popup Menus: offset from mouse
position to make menu cancel easier
Galaxy2-1.3 - crash if star count is revised
and parameters saved to a file
Lbench-3.4 - user interface rationalized
2017 Apr 01 Fotoxx Release 17.04
- Source code revisions for GTK API changes (Ubuntu 17.04,
- Implementation of AppImage, a distro-agnostic packaging
- Smoother gallery scrolling via thread to pre-fetch
- Image Montage: join selected images together into a
compact table format.
Images included in the table can be clicked to show a
- Paint Image: modified to make it easier to use with a
- Paint Image: use any image as a custom color palette -
click to select color.
- Edited images get an automatic tag, allowing "edited" as
a search criteria.
- Alien Colors effect: repaint an image or area with
random strange colors.
- Stack/Paint: Transient foreground objects can be removed
a moving subject can be shown in multiple positions
against the background.
- Twist effect: twist or swirl an image around a
mouse-selected central point.
- Script Files: most of the special effects functions can
now be scripted.
- Denoise - measure noise: the noise is better
characterized as a scatterplot.
- The desktop wallpaper functions were removed - they
don't work with the
latest Gnome desktop.
- User Interface
- Paint Image and Clone Image were split into separate
- Trim/Rotate: margin sides can now be dragged, in
addition to the corners.
- Rename, Copy/Move, Delete/Trash: options were added to
keep these dialogs
open or not (keep open is easier/faster if processing
- Albums can now be sorted like any other gallery, but
cannot be edited when
in an out-of-sequence condition. To edit, re-open the
- User Settings: an album name can be specified as the
- Bug Fixes
- Startup with a file parameter: now works for absolute or
relative file name.
- Correctly handle file and directory names containing '$'
- Voodoo functions can now be assigned to shortcut keys
like any other.
- Disallow re-sorting of a metadata report, which loses
the link between
images and their metadata. Sort the gallery before
generating the report.
- Copy to Desktop or Clipboard: an edited but unsaved file
- Trim/Rotate: stop sporadic motion of zoomed image when
margins are dragged.
2017 Feb 28 Fotoxx Release 17.01.2 bug fixes:
+ Read TIFF file with alpha channel: alpha data was being
+ Panorama: crash if images being combined have too little
+ The Spanish and Catalan translations were updated. No
2017 Jan 12 Fotoxx Release 17.01.1 bug fixes:
+ Possible crash at startup after new image files are found
(This is self-repairing at the next
+ Crash if the De-noise dialog is quit with the Measure
Noise dialog left open.
2017 Jan 08 Ukopp Release 6.2
- Bugfix: fixed a garbled differences summary report if backup
is to a directory
only, instead of to a device, mount point, and directory.
- User Guide: an explanation was added about how deleted
source files are
handled in the backup archive - when and how long they are
2017 Jan 05 Fotoxx Release 17.01
The packages were rebuilt to include better diagnostic output
after a crash.
The Makefile was changed. The source code was not changed.
2017 Jan 01 Fotoxx Release 17.01
- Show the entire image directory hierarchy with [+] and [-]
buttons to expand
or contract subdirectories at each level. Click any entry
for a gallery view.
- Blend Image: Blend image pixels by painting with the
- Replace Album File: Make it easier to update albums
whenever member images
are edited or added. Replace a given old image with a given
new image, or
add the new image after the old, in selected albums or all
- Maps: An option was added to show markers only for images
in the current
gallery (e.g. search results or album). The default is to
show all images.
- Color Mode: A new option was added to "rotate" the colors
(RGB -> BRG),
and each function operates on prior results instead of the
- Three new slide show transitions: turn-cube, windmill,
- Adjust HSL: both source and target colors can be selected
by clicking the image.
- Slide Show - added button to use current gallery (without
- Image indexing is 1.9x faster for 5400 rpm disk (minor
speedup for SSD).
- Thumbnail caching is more efficient, gallery scrolling is
a little smoother.
- User Interface Improvements
- Edit Metadata: added button to recall and insert previous
- Batch Rename Tags: A GUI replaced the text file for old
and new tag names.
- Brightness/Color Gradient (alias "Ramp"): Set gradient
direction with the mouse.
- Favorites menu: Alignment of icons or text to invisible
grid was made easier.
- Bookmarks Edit and GoTo dialogs: scroll bar added to allow
larger entry counts.
- Slide Show: transitions dialog can be scrolled for easier
use with small monitors.
- Report by location and date-groups: If only a country is
output gallery did not include all locations within that
- Metadata report: Failed if no prior reported items list
- Sort gallery by file or photo date: Avoid sorting
(leave them at the top of the list and in alphabetic