Recent Changes for kornelix programs
Subscribe your RSS reader to kornelix.blogspot.com to
2017 Jan 21 Fotoxx
The Spanish and Catalan translations were updated. No version
2017 Jan 12 Fotoxx Release 17.01.1
- Possible crash at startup after new image files are found
(This is self-repairing at the next startup.)
- Crash if the De-noise dialog is quit with the Measure Noise
dialog left open.
2017 Jan 08 Ukopp Release 6.2
- Bugfix: fixed a garbled differences summary report if backup
to a directory
only, instead of to a device, mount point, and directory.
- User Guide: an explanation was added about how deleted source
handled in the backup archive - when and how long they are
2017 Jan 05 Fotoxx Release 17.01
The packages were
rebuilt to include better diagnostic output after a crash.
The Makefile was changed. The source code was not changed.
2017 Jan 01 Fotoxx Release 17.01
- Show the entire image directory hierarchy with [+] and [-]
buttons to expand
or contract subdirectories at each level. Click any entry for
- Blend Image: Blend image pixels by painting with the
- Replace Album File: Make it easier to update albums whenever
are edited or added. Replace a given old image with a given
add the new image after the old, in selected albums or all
- Maps: An option was added to show markers only for images in
gallery (e.g. search results or album). The default is to show
- Color Mode: A new option was added to "rotate" the colors
and each function operates on prior results instead of the
- Three new slide show transitions: turn-cube, windmill,
- Adjust HSL: both source and target colors can be selected by
clicking the image.
- Slide Show - added button to use current gallery (without
- Image indexing is 1.9x faster for 5400 rpm disk (minor
- Thumbnail caching is more efficient, gallery scrolling is a
- User Interface Improvements
- Edit Metadata: added button to recall and insert previous
- Batch Rename Tags: A GUI replaced the text file for old and
- Brightness/Color Gradient (alias "Ramp"): Set gradient
direction with the mouse.
- Favorites menu: Alignment of icons or text to invisible grid
was made easier.
- Bookmarks Edit and GoTo dialogs: scroll bar added to allow
larger entry counts.
- Slide Show: transitions dialog can be scrolled for easier
with small monitors.
- Report by location and date-groups: If only a country is
output gallery did not include all locations within that
- Metadata report: Failed if no prior reported items list was
- Sort gallery by file or photo date: Avoid sorting
(leave them at the top of the list and in alphabetic
2016 Nov 16 Fotoxx Release 16.11.1
- Bugfix: if there is no location data (city, country) in any
existing image file
and an attempt is made to enter location data for the first time
menu Edit Metadata, Fotoxx may crash.
2016 Nov 01 Fotoxx Release 16.11
- New: Upload selected image files to the Flickr photo web
- New: Unwarp Close-up: Reverse the distortion of a close-up
(e.g. selfie) (balloon face, big nose).
- Location names may now encompass multiple [nearby]
When editing a photo geotag, select a map marker or add a new
The image selection range of a map marker scales with the map
- Albums can be auto-updated when image files are edited to new
- Text config files for two Metadata reports were replaced with
- Add Text and Add Lines/Arrows: style information (font, size,
color, effects ...)
can be saved to a file and re-used, to avoid many inputs.
2016 Oct 14 Fotoxx Release 16.10.3
- Bugfix: occasional crash when saving an image to a new file or
2016 Oct 12 Fotoxx Release 16.10.2
- Improved traceback dump to help bug hunting.
2016 Oct 08 Fotoxx Release 16.10.1
- Bugfix: memory management bug resulting in possible crash.
- Translation updates: French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan,
2016 Oct 01 Fotoxx Release 16.10
- Compensate GTK API changes in Ubuntu 16.10.
- Keys F1 (= help) and Escape (= cancel) were made consistent in
- The Select Hairy function and user interface were improved
- The image search function saves its output to the album Search
(preserve search results when subsequent actions replace the
- Batch Add/Remove Tags: the user interface was extended to make
to choose from existing tags or create new tags as needed.
2016 Sep 14 Fotoxx Release
+ Fotoxx startup is much faster when there are few new image
files to index.
Huge galleries also display faster. The image
index file is converted to a
new format. The old file is kept for
safety, and can be deleted later.
+ Indexing can be completely bypassed if Fotoxx is started
from a file manager
(e.g. Nautilus) to open a selected file, which
displays instantly. Image edits
work normally. Search and map functions
are disabled because they require
the image index. The index can be updated
on demand or the next time
Fotoxx starts normally. Set options using
Tools > User Options.
+ Galleries with images from multiple directories (from a
recent images query, timeline report, etc.) now
include the lowest level
directory name in addition to file name, photo
date and thumbnail image.
User Options: view last file version only:
+ This option now affect both image file view and gallery
view. If set, only the
latest version of each image file is
shown, also in gallery pages.
Albums and results from search functions are
+ A user can optionally use the Mapbox map source by
acquiring an access key.
These are free for moderate map usage (50,000
tiles per month). See the
User Guide for a description of the differences
and how to obtain a key.
+ Inserting plugin text in the output file names was
simplified. Photo dates
(from EXIF metadata) can be inserted into the
output file names.
+ The user data in /home/<user>/.fotoxx can now be
located wherever wanted.
This also enables multiple image collections,
+ The report by location and date-group and the timeline
report were made
more elegant with non-scrolling table headers.
Click on a table position
to get a corresponding thumbnail gallery of
Gallery sort by photo date:
+ Multiple edit versions of the same photo had accidental
order because they
all have the same photo date. Resolved by
using file mod date as tie breaker.
+ User Options: If a font was selected that had no monospace
some report formats looked horrible. A generic
monospace font is now used.
+ Gallery sort by photo date was incorrect after editing any
(self-corrected after displaying some other
gallery and then coming back).
+ When saving a modified image as a new file or version, some
metadata was not being copied to the new
+ Trim/Rotate: the [+90] and [-90] buttons failed when
pressed multiple times.
2016 Aug 17 Ukopp Release
+ Increase internal buffer size to handle very long file
+ Add xdg-utils to package dependencies.
+ Correct error in user guide.
2016 Aug 16 Ukopp Release
+ Bugfix: Reset the error status before error checking.
+ Verify the backup job after any changes are made, flag
+ New feature: Show the differences between a file and any
prior backup version,
or between any two prior backup
versions. Optional side-by-side compare
(easy file chooser dialog + GUI
interface for the GNU diff utility).
2016 Aug 11 Fotoxx Release
+ Translation updates for Portuguese and
+ Bugfix: Crash in Edit Bookmarks if list is empty and blanks are
2016 Aug 01 Fotoxx Release 16.08
+ Remove multiple images by clicking thumbnails.
+ Drag thumbnails from a file manager or gallery to an
album and position.
+ The last image remains displayed until Escape is
+ Transition preferences: fix large dialog that can
overflow a small screen.
+ Show the tones currently being selected or
+ Select and deselect thresholds were adjusted for
+ Area edit: edge blending appearance was made
+ Area copy and paste: smoother edges via
+ Use two parallel sessions to drag and drop
thumbnails across galleries.
+ Report by location, new option: sequence by
date-group and location.
+ Timeline report: create a table of image counts by
year and month.
Click on a year/month to produce a
corresponding thumbnail gallery.
+ Sepia coloring was improved.
+ A new slider was added to adjust effect from zero to
+ Add an option to set the gallery background
+ The Favorites popup menu is initialized with
defaults, if empty.
+ The mouse selection circle remains visible over
transparent image areas.
+ Images by date-range and location: too many images
were being selected.
+ Paste Area: brightness and edge blend adjustments
2016 July 15 Fotoxx Release 16.07.1
OpenStreetMap terminated their free internet map service without
notice. A license is now required but the libchamplain interface
has no means of supplying this. The fix, for the present, is to use
another map source, OSM Mapnik, which is adequate but not as nice
2016 July 09 Fotoxx Release
- The French and Italian translations were updated. Release
2016 July 01 Fotoxx Release
- Libraw is used in place of Dcraw. Dcraw is no longer required
- Search Images: there is more flexibility to search for
one or more values, one or more substrings, or a range of
- The denoise method "flatten" was made faster and more
- New: Select Area Copy: select a hairy or ragged edge with fine
- New: Select Area Find Gap: find the gap in a hand-drawn area
- Manage Albums: copy and paste from any gallery into an Album
using parallel Fotoxx sessions (album creation and editing made
- New user option: set the main window background color.
- Bugfix: crash when saving a select area that includes image
2016.06.08 Fotoxx Release 16.06.1
- Translations were updated for Spanish and Catalan.
2016.06.01 Fotoxx Release
This release is mostly about improving the user interface, plus a
few bug fixes.
- Many popup tips were added to dialogs to improve ease of
- Edit Metadata and Edit Geotags were integrated for better ease
- Edit Any Metadata: made easier to edit items not included in
- Adjust HSL: improved output quality, more precise user control
- Image Search: finding images with no data (e.g. no tags) was
- Image Search: search for images from specific locations was
- Several functions were made easier to select and process image
files in gallery
view: View and Edit Metadata, Rename, Copy/Move, Delete/Trash,
- New in image and thumbnail popup menus: jump to image map
- Paint/Clone: undo memory for oldest edits is recovered as
needed for new edits.
- Unbend: made easier to use by including guidance icons in the
- Cartoon: small improvement in algorithm, small speedup.
- Bugfix: Favorites > Previous Image: crash if initiated from
- Bugfix: Map search range was increasingly inaccurate for
- Bugfix: Custom favorites menu could lose icons if an entry is
- Bugfix: Slide Show: custom image settings (zoom target,
were sometimes lost if the underlying album was edited or
2016.05.31 lbench-3.0 watsup-3.6
Dependency on the package "lm-sensors" was removed for these
Instead, CPU temperature is obtained from the file
Exact location and unit of measure vary (per usual Linux chaos) but
revised function coretemp() in zfuncs.cc can compensate for
2016.05.28 zfuncstest 6.3
- Application dialogs may have customized fonts.
- gmenuz() (editable graphic menus):
- menu text can be optionally bold
- compensate latest GTK API breakage
- drag and drop launchers: add additional locations for icon
- bugfix: deleting a menu entry can cause other menus to
2016.05.28 MyStuff Release
- Bugfix: deleting a menu entry can result in other menus losing
2016.05.04 MyStuff Release 2.8
- Text entries can be optionally bold text. Useful for headings
- Portuguese language updated.
- Bugfix: crash if Trim/Rotate is initiated from the image popup
2016.04.20 Fotoxx Release 16.05
- A new image location map was implemented using
This has superior functionality, but depends on having a fast
internet connection. The old method (using large local map
be used and may be preferable for custom maps.
- New: Selective Rescale: Scale image down, leaving selected
This can be used to increase the relative size of the area of
- Gallery top panel has more information about current album or
- Font and map marker sizes are adjustable for monitor size and
- Bugfix: no warning was given when a gallery thumbnail was
opened and the
previous image file had unsaved modifications which were
- Bugfix: minor memory leak in Manage Albums.
2016.04.19 MyStuff Release 2.7
- Add more directories where icon files are searched when a
desktop file is
dropped on to the mystuff window.
- Man page was updated for better clarity about multiple mystuff
2016.04.13 Fotoxx Release 16.04.1
- Bugfix: Saving an unmodified file with a new file type (e.g.
tif to jpg) could produce a
duplicate of the input file with the wrong file type (e.g. a tif
file with a .jpg extension).
2016.04.01 Fotoxx Release 16.04
- Initial file indexing was made faster by running metadata
extraction and thumbnail
creation in parallel. Speedup: 11% for 7200 rpm disk and 60% for
- New image sharpen method: median difference: like unsharp
with less halos.
- New slide show transitions: spiral, french door.
- Bugfix: crash in panorama "flatten" function if image is too
- Bugfix: failure of Add Lines function in rare cases
- Workaround: If an image file that is used in albums is renamed
or moved, the
album image goes missing. There is no way to fix this, but now a
report of the
missing files is shown before they are purged from the album. If
files are renamed
or moved using the Batch Convert tool, then albums are correctly
2016.03.07 MyStuff Release 2.5
The icon search for
new drag and drop menu additions was expanded
to include additional directories and icon file types.
2016.03.06 Fotoxx Release 16.03.1
updates for Spanish, Catalan, Italian, and Portuguese.
2016.03.01 Fotoxx Release
- New function Blur Background: select one or more areas
remain sharp while the remaining areas (background) are blurred,
in proportion to distance from foreground. Also useful for the
- New function Add Transparency: based on brightness or a chosen
- Edit Metadata: Editing a series of images that share common
was made faster and easier with a button to recall previous
- The image size limit for editing was doubled to 250
(not realistic for computers with less than 16 GB main
- Select Area: area edge distance calculation was made 2-3x
- Select Area: copy/paste retains both transparency and edge
- Calibrate Printer Colors: the color chart and procedure were
This means you have to re-do the calibration (my apologies for
- Bugfix: Mashup: warping overlay images no longer leaves black
where an image was pulled inward from the edge.
2016.02.26 Mystuff Release 2.4.1
Links to additional windows can be created. Use forward and back
links in a
circular series or construct a hierarchy of menus/windows.
2016.02.05 Fotoxx Release 16.02.1
- Translation updates for Portuguese.
- Bugfix: Resize: locking the width/height ratio did not always
- Bugfix: Slide Show: sometimes failed to start.
- Bugfix: If an album contains the same image file multiple
sequentially through the album loops from the Nth instance back
2016.02.03 Mystuff Release 2.3
Drag and drop a file (e.g. from Desktop or Nautilus) on to the
mystuff window to
create a menu entry to open the file with its default application.
If the file is an
image file, the menu icon is made from the image instead of the
Fotoxx Release 16.02
- New Effects > Cartoon: convert a photo into a cartoon-like
- Add Text and Add Lines now work better with images having
- Paint/Clone: optionally paint over transparent areas,
- Brasero was replaced by growisofs for writing image files to
(growisofs underlies Brasero, K3b, and most other disc burning
- Edit Any Metadata: UI improvement to better handle long text
- Batch Change Metadata: UI improvement to better handle long
- New batch function: select image files by clicking thumbnails,
output a file
with a list of the selected files. Useful to feed shell scripts
- Function key changes: F10 for full screen with menu and panel,
- Batch Convert: overlay images (e.g. credit lines) can be sized
for a constant
screen display size, regardless of image size or aspect ratio.
- When viewing images sequentially using the [prev/next] button
arrow keys, adjacent directories can be spanned without user
- An album can be opened from the command line: $ fotoxx -album
- Bugfix: Retouch Combo: reset button did not reset
- Bugfix: Panorama: "file color" button caused image
2016.02.01 Mystuff Release 2.3
Drag and drop can
be used to create an icon/launcher to open an application or file
its default application. Drag to the mystuff window from the
desktop, HUD, Nautilus, etc.
2016.01.08 Fotoxx translation updated for
2016.01.06 Fotoxx Release 16.01.1
Bugfix: Search Images using keyword tags failed for tags with
Translation updates for Spanish, Catalan, Italian.
following programs were revised to avoid harmless error messages
due to recent
GTK revisions: dkopp-6.8 findwild-2.2 galaxy2-1.1
picpuz-2.7 sortpuz-1.4 ukopp-5.9 watsup-3.5
2016.01.01 Fotoxx Release 16.01
- Edit Any Metadata and Batch Add/Change Metadata: better user
mouse point and click to select metadata items from a list of
- Panorama: a manual alignment option was added for images with
clear features in the overlap area that can be used for
- Batch Convert: add an overlay image to output images (e.g. a
- Slide Show: minor changes to improve user interface (details
- Image right-shift is now a user option with no more
- Search Images: new option for text data matching:
case-sensitive or not.
- New user option: default gallery sort: file name, file mod
date, photo date.
- A new function for color saturation was added (separate from
- Bugfix: Search Images for metadata was including some
- Bugifx: possible crash in Select Area if 'extend to corner'
option is selected.
2015.12.23 Fotoxx Release
This is a bug fix release. Some edit functions were locking up on
Linux Mint 17.3.
This release makes the problem much less frequent but is not a 100%
The problem seems to be in the GTK library for this particular
Linux. The problem
has not been evident in Ubuntu 14.04 through 15.10. The problem can
eliminated by upgrading to a newer version of libgtk3.
2015.12.11 Web Site Moved
The kornelix web site has moved
2015.12.01 Fotoxx 15.12
- Adjust HSL: improved control of the color range to select and
- Fix Perspective: new option to automatically trim using the
- Trim/Rotate: level a slanted image using EXIF RollAngle (if
- Keyboard Shortcuts: initially lists all existing shortcuts in
A button is available to start the dialog to add or revise
- Metadata short report: you can specify extra items to include
in the report.
- New: Metadata batch report - list selected metadata for
selected image files.
- File Save (New Version): this function can now have a keyboard
- Maps: red-dot locations are consolidated for separations <
Previously location names were used, but this was often too
- Maps: custom user maps are now separated from standard
This prevents losing them if the fotoxx-maps package is
- TIFF files are now saved without compression. The resulting
file size may
be slightly greater or less, but the processing time is reduced
- Slide Show new transition: image turns like a book page to the
- Bugfix: the Upright function could not step to the next
- Bugfix: PT Panorama was broken due to an interface change in
- Bugfix: possible crash when levelling an image by dragging the
- Bugfix: possible crash if a select area is abandoned with
Watsup was previously revised to use lm-sensors to get the CPU
The time required can range from 0.001 to 0.5 seconds or more,
depending on the
computer. The desktop freezes during this time, possibly causing
motion or other problems in the user interface. An alternative has
implemented: specify a file path where the CPU temperature is
updated by the
kernel (this is a file mapped into main memory). Unfortunately
there is no standard
and the user must find this file and enter it into the Watsup
Existing desktop icons (launchers) can now be added with drag and
- Replaced GTK deprecated functions.
- Differences Summary report now Includes a count of expired old
that will be purged from the backup location.
- Folders in gallery pages show counts for both contained
sub-folder and images.
- Pattern: pattern can imprint target image without changing
- Adjust HSL: the amount of color change is proportional to the
match with a
selected target color, and this match range is adjustable.
- Batch Convert: more flexibility in the formatting of output
- New: make a spherical image projection with variable radius of
- Trim/Rotate: if an image is levelled using mouse drag, the
automatically maximized, removing the need to do this
- If an edit dialog is started and left/right image margins are
present, the image
is pushed to the right side so the dialog can be positioned over
left margin and menu panel, minimizing the image area covered.
is saved and restored the next time the dialog is used.
- Saving to file type .bmp was removed, since all metadata is
- A new transition type was added to Slide Show: collapsing
- Six other minor improvements and minor bug fixes were
Watsup 3.3 and
Both of these programs were revised to use lm-sensors to get the
This should overcome the problem that the location of this
information varies from
one system to another. There is now a package dependency on
- New: Batch Scripts: Perform a series of image edits while
recording all menu
and dialog inputs into a script file. Execute the script file to
apply the same
edits to multiple images selected from gallery pages.
- Calibrate Printer: algorithm was improved for slightly more
- Edit curves: The capture distance for mouse selection of nodes
to drag is now
adjustable (increase the default value to make touchpads easier
- Batch Add/Change Metadata: added a pick-list for commonly used
- Geographic maps: mouse distance to trigger a popup location
name was made
independent of map scale (10 pixels instead of 10 km).
- Bugfix: gallery file selection: clicking on a file name in the
list of selected files
was sometimes inaccurate and selected the wrong file.
- Bugfix: setting a geotag by clicking a map location did not
allow an initial
location to be revised by clicking somewhere else.
Fotoxx 15.09 2015.08.31
- Program code was revised for latest GTK API breakage (in
- The font size used in menus and dialogs can now be set by the
- Panorama: about 20% faster (3 images x 7 megapixels, 2 GHz
- Paint Transparency: response lag with large images was
- Area Copy and Paste was reinstated (faster and easier than
save and open).
- Use of alpha channel for vacated margins was extended to all
- New: Calibrate Printer: tool to improve image print color
- Bugfix: crash in Flatten Book Page while marking page
- Bugfix: Slide Show failure if translated transition names
- Bugfix: Leverage Edit: use of contrast as edit lever was
- Seven other minor improvements and fixes.